Agenda: Fifty Years After Containerization: Is Trade Information Satisfying Our Needs in the 21st Century?
An International Trade Data Users (ITDU) Conference
June 21 – 22, 2006
Baruch College Newman Conference Center
151 East 25th Street, 7th Floor Map It!
(Between Lexington and Third Ave)
New York, NY
Wednesday, June 21
8:00 – 8:30 Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:30 – 8:40 Opening Remarks – Scudder Smith, Chairman, ITDU; Alvis Pauga, Executive Director, ITDU
8:40 – 9:30 The Economy and Exports are Stronger Than You Think – Michael Mandel, Ph.D., Chief Economist, Business Week See B-W Article.
9:30 – 9:45 Comments by the Bureau of Economic Analysis – Ralph Kozlow, Associate Director for International Economics, BEA
9:45 – 10:00 Issues In Measuring U.S. Trade – William Zeile, Research Staff, Bureau of Economic Analysis, Dept. of Commerce
10:00 – 10:40 Panel: Is Trade Information Keeping up With What We Need?
- Measuring Container Capacity and Container Cargo Flows – Hayes Howard, President ComPair Data and Publisher, American Shipper Magazine. Additional speakers to be announced
10:40 – 11:00 Refreshment Break
(Sponsored by Global Trade Information Services, Inc.)
11:00 – 12:15 Panel: U.S Trade Statistics Moderator: Alvis Pauga, Int’l. Trade & Transportation Consultant
- What’s New at the Foreign Trade Division? – William G. Bostic, Jr., Chief FTD, Census Bureau
- Mandatory Electronic Filing of Export Information in AES – When? The Benefits – William G. Bostic, Jr., Chief FTD, Census Bureau
- State of Origin Data for Exports Based on Zip Code – Glenn Barresse, Chief of Special Projects Branch, FTD, Census Bureau
- State of Destination Data for Imports – Vanessa Ware, Chief, Data Dissemination Branch, FTD, Census Bureau
- New Data Series by 4-digit “Port” Code for Waterborne and Air Cargo – Vanessa Ware, Chief, Data Dissemination Branch, FTD, Census Bureau
- Common Reasons For Data Discrepancies – Steve Bulman, FTD, Census Bureau
- China Trade Analysis – Glen Barresse, Chief of the Special Projects Branch, FTD, Census Bureau
12:15 – 1:30 Lunch (Sponsored by ComPair Data)
Keynote Speaker on the 50th Anniversary of Containerization: Marc Levinson, author of The Box: How the Shipping Container Made the World Smaller and the World Economy Bigger See Forbes Article
1:45 – 3:00 Panel: China Trade Moderator: Tulinda Larsen, Managing Director, Analytical Services, PIERS
- Understanding the China Market – Roy C. Sheldon, Principal, China Business Associates
- Forecasting China Waterborne Trade – Mike Andrews, Ph.D., PIERS
- Global Demand Forecast for Air Freight – Including AirBus A380 and B747 – Marty Graham, BACK Aviation Solutions
3:00 – 3:15 Refreshment Break
3:15 – 4:45 Panel: Using Commodity Trade Data From Census or Manifest Data from Customs Moderator: Alan Glube, Sr. Manager Market Research, OOCL
Dept. of Commerce/Bureau of Census Commodity Data
- Using Census Data for Market Determination – Kathy Chen, Manager Business Analysis, FedEx
- Paul Bingham – Principal, Global Trade & Transportation, Global Insight
- Census Bureau, FTD – Vanessa Ware, Chief Data Dissemination Branch
Waterborne Manifest Data
- U.S. Customs’ Use of Manifest Information – Mark Ziner, Office of Strategic Trade, Customs & Border Protection
- Container Carrier Perspective – Alan Glube, Sr. Manager Market Research, OOCL
- Port of Baltimore – Ben Lieberman, Mgr. of Market Planning, Maryland Port Administration
- PIERS – Lenny Corallo, Exec. Vice President
4:45 – 5:30 ITDU Membership Meeting and Election of Board Members
5:15 – 7:30 Networking Reception Sponsored by PIERS Global Intelligence Solutions
Thursday, June 22
8:30 – 9:00 Continental Breakfast
9:00 – 10:30 The A,B,C’s of U.S. Foreign Trade Data – Collection, Definitions, Processing, and Dissemination – Diane Oberg, FTD, Census; Vanessa Ware, Chief Data Dissemination Branch, FTD, Census Bureau
10:45 – 11:00 Refreshment Break
Displaying Trade Data Geospatially on the Web – Elizabeth Clark, International Trade Administration
Presentations By Sponsors and Exhibitors
- ComPair Data – Hayes Howard, President ComPair Data
- Other Sponsors and Exhibitors – To be announced
12:00 – 1:00 Lunch(included) PIERS Keynote Speaker: “Sourcing and Marketing Development in China – Best Practices for U.S. Companies – Savio Chan , U.S. China Partners
1:30 – 3:30 Presentations By Sponsors and Exhibitors, cont’d.
4:00 Close of Conference
ITDU Participation Fee: $195 total for both days, including lunch and networking reception evening of the first day. $165 for members who sign up for annual ITDU membership at $90.
We encourage you to become ITDU members to support our organization’s continuing activities. For conference registration and additional information visit www.itdu.org or contact Alvis Pauga at firstname.lastname@example.org or 201.337.0533.
All attendees must register prior to attending. Cancellations subject to a $10 processing fee.
We welcome exhibitors at $600, and sponsors. Exhibitors and sponsors are entitled to a make a presentation on the second day. Participants are encouraged to view exhibits on both days at breaks, during lunch, and during the networking reception.
On Thursday, June 22, PIERS will concurrently hold their PIERS Day program. ITDU conference participants may attend this program at no additional cost, but should also register with PIERS. For additional information, please visit PIERS Day . Please note that you must register with ITDU to attend the ITDU conference session on Wednesday, June 21.
Note: Program subject to change, depending on availability of speakers.